He's the swashbuckling world traveler and legendary investor who made his fortune before he was forty. Now the bestselling author of A Bull in China, Hot Commodities, and Adventure Capitalist shares a heartfelt, indispensable guide for his daughters (and all young investors) to find success and happiness. In A Gift to My Children, Jim Rogers offers advice with his trademark candor and confidence, but this time he adds paternal compassion, protectiveness, and love. Rogers reveals how to learn from his triumphs and mistakes in order to achieve a prosperous, well-lived life. For example:
- Trust your own judgment: Rogers sensed China's true potential way back in the 1980s, at a time when most analysts were highly skeptical of its prospects for growth.
- Focus on what you like: Rogers was five when he started collecting empty bottles at baseball games instead of playing.
- Be persistent: Coming to Yale from rural Alabama, and in over his head, Rogers never stopped studying and wound up with a scholarship to Oxford.
- See the world: In 1990, Rogers traveled through six continents by motorcycle, gaining a global perspective and learning how to evaluate prospects in rapidly developing countries such as Brazil, Russia, India, and China.
- Nothing is really new: anything deemed "innovative" or "unprecedented" is usually just overhyped, as in the case of the Internet or TV, airplanes, and railroads before it
- And not a bit off the subject, and very important: Boys will need you more than you'll need them
Wise and warm, accessible and inspiring, A Gift to My Children is a great gift for all those just starting to invest in their futures.